There are a huge range of really good quality sausages available now. Many of them are proudly made by your local butcher, but even supermarket’s are stocking some great gourmet sausages. So just take a look at the ingredients to make sure they have a goodmeat content, and choose a variety that you and your family enjoy.
This is a fabulous wallet friendly meal, as each sausage makes 4 meatballs you can feed two adults and 2 children with about 6 sausages. I always have the ingredients for this dish in my cupboards, so I tend to make it quite often when I have days where I just can’t be bothered to think of something new to cook, and it ALWAYS goes down well!
- 6 quality sausages
- 1 red pepper – chopped
- 1 onion – chopped
- 1 jar passata
- Dried mixed herbs
- Squeeze meat out of the skin of the sausages and reform into meatballs, you should get 4 per sausage.
- Fry meatballs, onion and pepper in a large pan until the meatballs have browned slightly. There is no need to add oil as there will be enough in the sausage balls, and try to not move them around too much incase they start to break up.
- Add jar passata and herbs. Swill jar out with a little cold water and add this too.
- Bring to the boil and reduce and simmer. Ideally cook for about 8 minutes, which is how long your pasta will take to cook. (if it starts to get dry add a little pasta water)
- Add your drained pasta to the mixture, mix in well and serve. Topping with a bit of grated parmesan if you have some.
Make these with any sausages you like, or if you can buy ready made meatballs then use those.
I often use this as an opportunity to use up any odd bits of veg that I have in the fridge, there is often half a courgette or a few green beans lurking in there, and I just throw them all in!