This would work equally well with thinly sliced beef or chicken. And if you have some cherry tomatoes in the fridge feel free to add those in too. This is a recipe we look up a lot in our house as it uses up ingredients that I always seem to have lurking around, it tastes much better than the sum of it’s parts
The recipe was originally spotted on BBC Good Food website, I use it a lot for inspiration.
- 100g frozen peas
- 175g beetroot cubed
- 2 spring onion thinly sliced
- 2 baby gem lettuce sliced
- 100g ham or beef
- 2 tsp yogurt or creme fraiche
- 2 tsp horseradish sauce
- Run peas in a sieve under the hot tap for a few minutes to defrost, then drain and leave to one side
- Combine yogurt and horseradish, add a splash of water if it’s a bit thick
- Pile the lettuce in a bowl, top with peas and beetroot and drizzle over the dressing
- Lay the ham on the top and sprinkle over the onion.
If you are taking this as a packed lunch you can layer it as follows
Dressing in the bottom, add peas and beetroot, layer on meat and then onion and top with lettuce. Before eating shake really well to mix the dressing with the rest of the salad ingredients.