We’ve had the most amazing summer this year, and I’ve made these several times. You can make them with just lamb, or just beef mince but I like the combination. The only way to mix them is to get your hands into the mixture. I challenge you to try these rather than the shop bought ones, they are so quick and easy to make and you can adjust the seasoning to suit yourself and your guests. The only fiddly bit is grating the onion, but it is worth it.
Ingredients – makes about 20 to 22 kebabs
• 500g lamb mince
• 500g beef mince
• 50g chopped fresh coriander
• 2 medium onions grated
• ½ – 1 tsp chilli powder (adjust to taste)
• 3 tsp ground cumin
• 2 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp garlic powder
1. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly with you hands (it’s the best way)
2. Shape into kebabs, or burgers and chill to set
3. Cook on the barbecue or in the oven if the weather is wet!
If there is just the two of us I make a big bowl of potato salad and carrot salad, and then have lots of leftovers!
And if we are having friends over I tend to make coleslaw and serve these with pitta breads. Once you’ve made them a couple of times try adjusting the seasoning and spices to taste.
My top tip for cooking kebabs on the barbecue is to use the wire fish racks to stop them rolling around