Early season potatoes are the best for this, and it’s a great side for my Lamb and Beef Kebabs. My hubby doesn’t like the mayo loaded potato salads that are commonly available; so I make this version for him, and if I’m honest I prefer it now myself. I often make it and take it to friends parties and it has always been gratefully received. It’s also fabulous with mackerel, in fact I could just eat it out of the bowl any day, all day.
Ingredients – serves 4 but is easily doubled or tripled for parties
• 500g new potatoes (if they are small leave whole or chop into big bite sized pieces)
• 2 spring onions chopped
• Handful chopped fresh parsley
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Juice half lemon
• ½ tsp cumin
• ½ tsp smoked paprika
• 2 tsp olive oil
• Pinch chilli powder
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until they are just cooked, you want them so that they still have a good bite.
2. Drain and rinse under cold water, they don’t need to be fully cold you are just stopping the cooking process
3. Add potatoes to a large bowl and sprinkle over herbs, spices and onion and mix, add lemon an olive oil and stir through carefully. You want all the potatoes nicely coated but not too oily. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
4. This is best left to stand for a couple of hours as the spices will soak into the potatoes.
5. Serve at room temperature.