This is so simple, and a really tasty addition to any meal. I serve it as part of a tapas, or as a side with any kind of barbecue in the summer. It’s also great for picnics and if we have leftover kebabs or chicken I like it with the cold meat in my lunchbox.
It’s a pretty salad due to the ribbons, which are so easy to make. Simply use a peeler and run it down the length of the carrot, you will need to turn it occasionally to get the maximum out of each carrot. I blanch the carrots in boiling water, but you could make this raw.
Ingredients – serves 4
• 3 carrots cut with a peeler into ribbons
• ½ tsp cumin seeds
• 2 cloves garlic crushed
• 1 tblsp olive oil
• Juice ½ lemon
1. Add carrots to a large pan of boiling water for 30 seconds then drain
2. In a large dry frying pan add the cumin seeds and warm to release the flavour
3. Add the oil and garlic and stir for a brief minute, add the carrot and remove from the heat immediately
4. Stir through the lemon juice and serve.
5. This can also be served at room temperature, and keeps well in the fridge for a day or two.