On a whim I bought some baby aubergines from the asian supermarket, they sat in the fridge for a few days until I had some peas in my weekly veg box and I thought I would pay homage to the Asian store and created this curry. It’s lovely and light and perfect for the summer, and of course you can use normal aubergines and frozen peas, it will taste just as good!
Ingredients – serves 2 -3
• 1 small onion finely diced
• 2 large tomatoes chopped
• 250g Baby Aubergines Chopped
• 100g prodded fresh peas (or frozen)
• 1tbsp vegetable oil
• Thumb ginger finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
• ½ tsp turmeric
• ½ tsp ground coriander
• ½ tsp chilli powder
• 2 tsp mustard seeds
• 3 curry leaves
• 400ml can coconut milk
• Fresh coriander to serve
1. Slowly fry onions and tomatoes in the oil until they are really soft and form a paste – this is really important and will take a good 10 to 15 minutes
2. Add garlic and ginger and stir through
3. Add all spices and cook for about 2 minutes, to release the spices
4. Add aubergines and cook for about 5 minutes, if it starts to stick then add a little water
5. Add can of coconut milk and warm (do not boil) then taste for seasoning.
6. Add peas and cook for a brief minute or two.
7. Stir through fresh coriander and serve over plain basmati rice or with Indian bread.
This is a really quick curry and can be on the table within 30 minutes, so it’s perfect for a quick midweek supper.
If you are cooking it in advance then after you taste for seasoning, stir through the peas and turn it off immediately. It is fine to store in the fridge, once cooled, for a couple of days, and you can just warm up on the hob or in the microwave. Serve over plain basmati rice or with Indian bread.