These are a very sticky and soft rather than a crunchy Granola Bar, they are vegan and filled with lots of super ingredients like goji berries and chia seeds. I will put a few in the fridge, however I wrap most of mine individually and store in the freezer, just taking out one when I think I will need it. I have eaten them pretty much straight from the freezer, but they are better if they’ve been defrosted for a couple of hours. If I am really disorganised I will have two of these bars with some fruit for breakfast, but I tend to make sure I have them with me on days when I’m not sure what time I will get lunch, or if I think I might be delayed getting home.
Ingredients makes 25-30 bars
- 300g dates (20-25 medjool dates)
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 500ml boiling water
- 350g porridge oats
- 150g sunflower seeds
- 100g dried goji berries
- 100g sultanas
- 100g pecans
- 3 tbs sesame seeds
- 3 tbs chia seeds
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- Put dates and water in a pan and boil for about 5 minutes until the dates are really soft
- Allow to cool slightly then blend with the bananas
- Put all the ingredients into a very large bowl and mix thoroughly
- Scrape into an ovenproof tin, the one I use is approx. 23cm x 33cm x 5cm
- Cook in 180° oven for about 25 mins until the top is browned slightly
- As soon as you remove from the oven cut into bars, but leave in the pan to cool fully. This just makes it a bit easier to remove from the pan.
They are quite sticky so if you can line your pan with parchment that will help, and hopefully your portions are a bit more even than mine!