I made this stew the other day when we arrived back from our holiday, I really didn’t want take-out but arrived home on a Sunday evening when the shops were closed. It uses ingredients that I always have in my house, and you could easily swap and substitute. It would also be great at the end of the week if you can’t be bothered to go shopping, or the end of the month when funds are a bit low! Just ladle into big bowls; it’s a wonderfully smokey and filling stew, oh and suitable for vegans too!
Ingredients – serves 2 without any accompaniment, if you are feeding more then just up the quantities appropriately
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 2 tins beans, drained – whatever you have in the cupboard, I had butter and kidney beans
- 1 tin water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 small onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5/6 slices of jalapeños from a jar
- 4/5 sundried tomatoes from a jar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground cinamon
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Big squirt tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp coriander stems
- Chop onion, carrot, jalapeños, sundried tomatoes and garlic as finely as you can (be bothered).
- Add all ingredients except coriander stems to a pan and mix well
- Cook on a low heat for about 20 mins till warmed through
- Add coriander stems and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Check for seasoning and serve
If you are not vegetarian or vegan you could add some chopped chorizo
If you have some fresh (or frozen) vegetables they would be really nice steamed as a side dish