This is a recipe that I’ve adapted slightly from a my The Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cook Book, which was bought as a gift when I first left home 25 years ago! It’s a great reference book: if I’m unsure about the ingredients or balance of ingredients its pretty much always got a basic recipe for it.
The basic cookie recipe is the same for all types of cookies, and I suppose you could just make them plain (not that I ever have); then you just add your favourite flavour combinations, I’ve added the three that I make most, but please feel free to make up your own!
Basic Cookie Recipe (same for all varieties) makes about 20
- 75g soft unsalted butter
- 150g golden caster sugar
- Few drops vanilla extract
- 1 egg beaten
- 175g self raising flour
- Pinch salt
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla and egg until fully combined.
- Sift in flour and salt and combine.
- Add your favourite flavourings and mix well.
- Make into about 20 golf ball sized portions and pop on a couple of baking trays. They will spread when they get warm, so allow plenty of room.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes at 180°c.
- Allow to cool on the tray for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 basic cookie dough mix
- 100g of chocolate chips
Choc Chip and Walnut Cookies
- 1 Basic cookie dough mix
- 50g chopped walnuts
- 100g chocolate chips
White Choc Chip and Sour Cherry Cookies
- 1 Portion of cookie dough mix
- 50g dried sour cherry (or cranberries) chopped
- 100g white chocolate chips